Gboard is the world’s hottest cell keyboard. It comes pre-installed on all Android gadgets and is the keyboard of selection for billions of individuals. You won’t have bothered to go to its settings earlier than since it really works high-quality from the get-go, however there are methods you may make it a bit extra helpful.
On this information, we’ll go over some key Gboard settings it is best to change instantly.
1. Cut back the Key Lengthy-Press Delay
You would possibly understand how long-pressing a key opens a small pop-up menu in your keyboard the place you possibly can entry extra related keys. For example, if you happen to long-press a vowel, you possibly can see the variations of that letter with completely different accent marks. Lengthy-pressing the interval key reveals you a bunch of different symbols and particular characters.
Since long-pressing a secret is such a standard factor to do when utilizing the keyboard, it is a good suggestion to scale back the delay between your keypress and the menu popping up. Here is the right way to do it:
- Launch Gboard and go to Settings > Preferences.
- Scroll down and faucet Key lengthy press delay.
- Modify the delay utilizing the slider in accordance with what you discover essentially the most becoming, then faucet OK.
The delay is about to 300 milliseconds by default. You’ll be able to cut back it right down to 100 milliseconds or improve it as much as 700 milliseconds. The decrease the delay, the extra time you may save on every long-press.
2. Present the Emoji Key to Entry Emojis Faster
By default, the best way to entry emojis on Gboard is by long-pressing the comma key beside the spacebar. However that may find yourself taking quite a lot of further time if you happen to use emojis continuously when typing.
Fortunately, you possibly can set your Google keyboard to indicate the emoji key individually for fast entry. Simply go to Settings > Preferences and toggle on Present emoji change key. Now, once you launch the keyboard once more, you may see a separate emoji key beside the comma key. To make room for this, the spacebar will shrink in dimension only a tiny bit.
3. Enhance Your Auto-Appropriate Settings
A wonderful thing about Gboard is the way it learns your utilization sample over time. This enables it to make extra correct corrections and provide you with higher ideas when typing. There are a complete set of small however nifty textual content correction settings you possibly can tweak on Gboard. You’ll be able to entry these within the Textual content correction menu.
Some helpful textual content correction settings it is best to toggle on are:
- Present suggestion strip
- Subsequent-word ideas
- Undo auto-correct on backspace
- Double-space interval
4. Make Glide Typing Simpler
Just like textual content correction, there are two glide typing settings it is best to take a look at. You’ll be able to entry these within the Glide typing menu. These are:
- Present gesture path: Creates a line that follows the motion of your finger gliding throughout the keyboard. This helps improve accuracy when writing. You could have glide typing turned on to have the ability to use this setting.
- Allow gesture delete: Shortly delete a number of phrases by sliding left from the delete key. The farther you slide your finger throughout the display, the extra phrases get chosen; then, elevate your finger to delete. This helps save time by not having to long-press the delete key to delete one letter at a time.
5. Add Phrases to Your Private Dictionary
You would possibly know and use some phrases in your every day life that your Google keyboard would not acknowledge and might subsequently not predict once you’re glide-typing. And it is actually annoying to should sort these phrases letter-by-letter, solely to then have auto-correct change it to one thing else solely.
To resolve this, that you must train Gboard to acknowledge these phrases. You are able to do this by adding words to your personal dictionary. Here is the way it works:
- Go to Settings > Dictionary > Private dictionary and choose your most popular language.
- On the prime nook, faucet on the Add (+) button.
- On the next display, sort the phrase you wish to add.
- For added comfort, you too can add a shortcut to your added phrases in the event that they’re lengthy or exhausting to glide-type. For example, the identify “Hillary Meadows” can have “hime” because the shortcut. Now, once you glide-type the shortcut in your keyboard, it would mechanically write the complete phrase for you.
It’s also possible to use shortcuts as a way to quickly type electronic mail addresses, internet addresses, and even full sentences. For example, “firstname.lastname@example.org” could be “ajmuo”. Equally, “Are you free this weekend?” could be “freeweek”. Bear in mind, at all times use made-up phrases as shortcuts.
6. Improve Your Clipboard
Below the Clipboard menu, activate the next two settings:
- Present just lately copied textual content and pictures in ideas bar: Once you copy a passage of textual content or a picture, Gboard will present it to you as a pill-shaped button within the ideas bar the following time you open the keyboard, so you possibly can faucet it and shortly paste the copied merchandise into the textual content area. This helps save time by not having to long-press the textual content area and choose Paste each time.
- Save current screenshots in clipboard: Once you take a screenshot in your gadget, Gboard will reserve it within the clipboard and present you a button to stick it instantly into the textual content area.
It’s also possible to set Gboard to cover addresses and cellphone numbers from the clipboard. Merely toggle off the characteristic from the identical menu.
The contents of your clipboard are auto-deleted after one hour. To avoid wasting an merchandise, long-press it and faucet Pin.
7. Get Emoji and Sticker Ideas
Lastly, you may get ideas for emojis and stickers, or entry extra shortly those you employ most. Below the Emojis, Stickers & GIFs menu, toggle on the next settings:
- Emoji fast-access row: Provides an additional row on prime of the keyboard, displaying widespread and most frequently used emojis.
- Predictive content material search: Gboard will counsel related GIFs, emojis, and stickers based mostly in your textual content.
- Emoji Stickers: Suggests related stickers based mostly on the emojis you choose.
Make Gboard Assist You Talk Higher
Gboard works nice from day one and its default settings are very user-friendly. However if you wish to get essentially the most use out of it, turning on the above settings can assist you save time, specific your self higher, and barely improve your productiveness. There are different settings as nicely that you just would possibly wish to mess around with and see how nicely they give you the results you want.
Gboard is only one of many widespread Google apps put in in your cellphone. Among the many others, there are some very helpful widgets which can be value placing on your private home display.
6 Really Useful Google Widgets to Add to Your Android Home Screen
About The Creator